Celebrating 100 years from coast-to-coast
On August 29th, 1912, the Siemens Company of Canada Limited is officially created. The new company is based in the historic financial district of Montreal at the corner of St. Francois Xavier and St. James Street West.
Siemens supplies a new system of 158 telephone call boxes to the Winnipeg Police Department, the first of its kind in North America. The signal system goes into service on November 5, 1913 and remains in service for nearly 60 years.
The company’s operations were closed as a consequence of the First World War. Even though Siemens would return in 1918, it doesn’t regain its position in the Canadian market, and is represented by a variety of agents throughout Canada for the next 30 years.
To meet the growing Canadian market, Siemens Brothers Ltd., the UK-based branch of Siemens & Halske, opens an office in Winnipeg. Located in the same building as the Siemens Company of Canada years before, Siemens Brothers (Canada) focuses exclusively on selling telephones, switching equipment, and radios to Western Canada.
Siemens supplies an electrical switching device to a tool and die maker in Edmonton, Alberta.
Following the establishment of Siemens-Reiniger-Werke in Germany, the company opens an office in Montreal to serve the Canadian healthcare market in central and eastern Canada.
Siemens mobile X-ray units are used in hospitals in Toronto, Ontario.
E-mail this page